Main Article Content
Introduction: Retained subretinal perfluoro-n-octane droplets occur in nearly 1% of the procedures. When subretinal cystoid cavities are registered, differential diagnosis including this condition is needed.
Clinical case: A 77-year-old male presented three small bubbles of perfluoro-n-octane under the papillomacular bundle after vitrectomy due to a retina redetachment, evidenced by multimodal image.
Conclusions: Multimodal image can help to diagnose this condition. There are several signs that can support this diagnosis. If visual acuity is threatened, removing the bubbles is mandatory, accepting risks.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright: © Medical Education sp. z o.o. License allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Address reprint requests to: Medical Education, Marcin Kuźma (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Georgalas I, Ladas I, Tservakis I et al. Perfluorocarbon liquids in vitreoretinal surgery: a review of applications and toxicity. Cutan Ocul Toxicol. 2011; 30: 251-62. http://doi.org/10.3109/15569527.2011.560915.
3. Januschowski K, Irigoyen C, Pastor JC et al. Retinal Toxicity of Medical Devices Used during Vitreoretinal Surgery: A Critical Overview. Ophthalmologica. 2018; 240: 236-43. http://doi.org/10.1159/000488504.
4. Pastor JC, Coco RM, Fernandez-Bueno I et al. Acute retinal damage after using a toxic perfluoro-octane for vitreo-retinal surgery. Retina. 2017; 37: 1140-51. http://doi.org/10.1097/IAE.0000000000001680.
5. García de Oteyza G, Elizalde J. Clinical and OCT Findings in a Case of a Presumed Perfluorooctane Retinal Acute Toxicity. Ophthalmic surgery, lasers & imaging retina 2018; 49: 460-2. http://doi.org/10.3928/23258160-20180601-13.
6. Chang S, Simpson RN. Impure Perfluorocarbon Liquids: A Preventable Tragedy. Retina. 2017; 37: 1019-20. http://doi.org/10.1097/IAE.0000000000001663.
7. Sigler EJ, Randolph JC, Rafieetary MR et al. Spectral domain optical coherence tomography characteristics of retained subretinal perfluoro-n-octane. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2013; 7: 164-8. http://doi.org/10.1097/ICB.0b013e31827aee3b.
8. Figueroa MS, Contreras I. Characteristics of retained subretinal perfluoro-n-octane on optical coherence tomography. Retina. 2012; 32: 2177-8. http://doi.org/10.1097/IAE.0b013e318261a6e3.