Main Article Content
Background: Since pediatric ophthalmologists still prefer to implant monofocal IOL and experience with multifocal IOL implantation in children is limited. Therefore, the aim of the study was to evaluate visual results after bilateral implantation of multifocal versus monofocal IOLs in children aged 1–5 years with congenital cataract.
Methods: Children between 1 and 5 years of age with bilateral cataract who underwent cataract removal implantation of an multifocal IOL – Lentis Mplusx , Oculentis GmbH, Germany (55 children – group A) or monofocal IOL – C-flex Aspheric Monofocal, Rayner Intraocular Lenses Limited, UK (55 children – group B). The distance corrected visual acuity, distance corrected near visual acuity, binocular function using the Worth 4-dot test, stereopsis using the TNO test were evaluated.
Results: At the final follow-up visit after 12 months, the mean best corrected distant visual acuity was not significantly different between groups A and B but the best corrected near visual acuity, binocular vision and stereopsis were significantly better in patients from group A as compared to group B.
Conclusion: Implantation of a multifocal IOL in children aged 1–5 years with bilateral cataract provides a better level of near vision and considerably improves the development of stereopsis in comparison with children after monofocal IOL implantation.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright: © Medical Education sp. z o.o. License allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Address reprint requests to: Medical Education, Marcin Kuźma (email@example.com)
2. Calladine D, Evans JR, Shah S et al. Multifocal versus monofocal intraocular lenses after cataract extraction. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2012; 9. Art. No.: CD003169. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003169.pub3.
3. Souza CE, Muccioli C, Soriano ES et al. Visual performance of AcrySof ReSTOR apodized diffractive IOL: a prospective comparative trial. Am J Ophthalmol. 2006; 141: 827-32.
4. Braga-Mele R, Chang D, Dewey S et al.; for the ASCRS Cataract Clinical Committee. Multifocal Intraocular Lenses: Relative indications and contraindications for implantation. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2014; 40: 313-22.
5. Rychwalski PJ. Multifocal IOL implantation in children: Is the future clear? J Cataract Refract Surg. 2010; 36: 2019-21.
6. Wright KW, Matsumoto E, Edelman PM. Binocular fusion and stereopsis associated with early surgery for monocular congenital cataracts. Arch Ophthalmol. 1992; 110: 1607-9.
7. Brown SM, Archer S, Del Monte MA. Stereopsis and binocular vision after surgery for unilateral infantile cataract. J AAPOS. 1999; 3: 109-13.
8. Jacobi PC, Dietlein TS, Konen W. Multifocal intraocular lens implantation in pediatric cataract surgery. Ophthalmology. 2001; 108: 1375-80.
9. Cristóbal J, Remoón L, Ángeles Del Buey M et al. Multifocal intraocular lenses for unilateral cataract in children. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2010; 36: 2035-40.
10. Ram J, Agarwal A, Kumar J et al. Bilateral implantation of multifocal versus monofocal intraocular lens in children above 5 years of age. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2014; 252: 441-7.
11. Abouzeid H, Moetteli L, Munier F. New-generation multifocal intraocular lens for pediatric cataract. Ophthalmologica. 2013; 200: 100-7.
12. Trivedi RH, Wilson ME Jr. Intraocular lens power selection for children. In: Garg A, Lin JT, Latkany R, Bovet J, Haigis W (ed). Mastering the techniques of IOL power calculations. Jaypee Brothers 2005: 127-35.
13. Morris R. Mplus innovative multifocal IOL with unique optics. Presented at 17th ESCRS Winter Meeting, Warsaw 2013.
14. Auffarth GU. Lentis Mplus: An innovative multifocal lens technology. Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today Europe. 2010; 2: 34-5.
15. Wanders B. Lentis Mplusx Get off the peaks, get into the zone. Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today Europe. 2014; 2 Suppl: 3-4.
16. Ferrer-Blasco T, Madrid-Costa D, Garcia-Lázaro S, et al. Stereopsis in bilaterally multifocal pseudophakic patients. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2011; 249: 245-51