Main Article Content
The paper presents a case of a 54-year-old man with pancreatic tumor and intraperitoneal dissemination. The patient received treatment with gemcitabine in combination with nab-paclitaxel. After 18 months, the disease progressed, therefore the line of treatment was applied in the form of liposomal irinotecan with 5-FU/LV. This therapy provided progression-free survival for 7 months. The obtained results are better than the median progression-free survival obtained in the studies. This case demonstrates that liposomal irinotecan in the treatment of stage IV disease in patients progressing after gemcitabine opens up new treatment options.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Copyright: © Medical Education sp. z o.o. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International (CC BY-NC 4.0). License (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0/), allowing third parties to copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format and to remix, transform, and build upon the material, provided the original work is properly cited and states its license.
Address reprint requests to: Medical Education, Marcin Kuźma (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2. Oettle H, Corrie P, Reni M et al. Pancreatic cancer. Nab-Paklitaksel. Börm Bruckmeier Verlag 2015: 6.
3. SEER. Cancer Stat Facts: Pancreatic Cancer. http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/pancreas.html (access: 1.02.2021).
4. Burris HA 3rd, Moore MJ, Andersen J et al. Improvements in survival and clinical benefit with gemcitabine as first-line therapy for patients with advanced pancreas cancer: a randomized trial. J Clin Oncol. 1997; 15(6): 2403-13.
5. Conroy T, Desseigne F, Ychou M et al. FOLFIRINOX versus gemcitabine for metastatic pancreatic cancer. N Engl J Med. 2011; 364(19): 1817-25.
6. Von Hoff DD, Ervin T, Arena FP et al. Increased survival in pancreatic cancer with nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine. N Engl J Med. 2013; 369(18): 1691-703.
7. Wang-Gillam A, Li CP, Bodoky G et al. Nanoliposomal irinotecan with fluorouracil and folinic acid in metastatic pancreatic cancer after previous gemcitabine- based therapy (NAPOLI-1): a global, randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet. 2016; 387(10018): 545-57.
8. Ducreux M, Cuhna AS, Caramell C et al. ESMO Guidelines Committee: Cancer of the pancreas: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment and follow-up. Ann Oncol. 2015; 26(suppl 5): v56-v68.
9. Hegewisch‐Becker S, Aldaoud A, Wolf T et al. International Journal of Cancer. July 2018 Results from the prospective German TPK clinical cohort study: Treatment algorithms and survival of 1,174 patients with locally advanced, inoperable, or metastatic pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Int J Cancer. 2019; 144(5): 981-90.
10. Oettle H, Riess J, Stieler JM et al. Second-line oxaliplatin, folinic acid, and fluorouracil versus folinic acid and fluorouracil alone for gemcitabine-refractory pancreatic cancer: outcomes from the CONKO-003 trial. J Clin Oncol. 2014; 32: 2423-9.
11. Gill S, Ko Y-j, Cripps C et al. PANCREOX: a randomized phase III study of 5 fluorouracil/leucovorin with or without oxaliplatin for second-line advanced pancreatic cancer in patients who have received gemcitabine-based chemotherapy. J Clin Oncol. 2016; 4(32): 3914-20.
12. Wang-Gillam A, Hubner RA, Siveke JT et al. NAPOLI-1 phase 3 study of liposomal irinotecan in metastatic pancreatic cancer: Final overall survival analysis and characteristics of long-term survivors. Eur J Cancer. 2019; 108: 78-87.
13. Goldstein D, Von Hoff DD, Moore M et al. Development of peripheral neuropathy and its association with survival during treatment with nab-paclitaxel plus gemcitabine for patients with metastatic adenocarcinoma of the pancreas: A subset analysis from a randomised phase III trial (MPACT). Eur J Cancer. 2016; 52: 85-91.